Jones, which operates 35 offices in the Colorado Springs area, was joined by Starbucks, which has 33 area locations, in the top 10 in seventh place. Other area employers and their 2008 rank are:
- 16, Whole Foods Market, two area locations
- 42, Mitre Corp., a defense contractor at 1155 Academy Park Loop
- 46, CarMax, which will open a used car store at 4050 Tutt Blvd. later this year.
- 54, CH2M Hill, planning firm operates an office at 19 S. Tejon St.
- 58, Scotttrade, brokerage operates an office at 70 S. Cascade Ave.
- 67, Valero Energy, 30 area locations under the Diamond Shamrock name.
- 72, Marriott International, 10 area hotels
- 81, Booz Allen Hamilton, a defense contractor at 121 S. Tejon St.
- 97, FedEx Corp., a major employer with 900 workers at its Rocky Mountain Technology Center, various package delivery operations and FedEx Kinko's stores.
Two thirds of the weight for the ranking comes from employee survey data, which was compiled by the San Francisco-based Great Place to Work Institute, which has authored the list since 1998. To nominate a company for next year's list, go to http://www.greatplacetowork.com/best/nominations/nom-100best.php.